How to return to Canada via a land border crossing without ArriveCan nor a quarantine... and your dignity intact
Source: Police on Guard https://policeonguard.ca
Returning to Canada from Florida and California
Border crossing: Rainbow Bridge
Date: Monday April 11th 1:30am
Duration: 45 min
Punishments or fines: None
Brief description of experience:
1. Pulled up to booth
1. Where were you?
2. How long?
3. What reason?
4. Bringing anything back?
5. Why don't you have ArriveCan?
1. I don’t consent to providing that information. The only document needed to enter Canada as a citizen is my passport.
6. Are you vaccinated?
1. I do not disclose my private medical information.
7. Do you have a place to quarantine?
8. What is your address?
1. I do not have to provide that information. My passport is the only document I need to provide.
9. Agent fills out yellow slip and sends me aside to speak with his supervisor.
10. Supervisor and two border agents come out. Border agents search my car and supervisor proceeds to ask similar questions above.
11. Why didn't you fill out ArriveCan?
1. I don’t consent to providing that information. My passport is the only document needed.
12. Why have you not had a Covid test done?
1. I quoted section 14.1 of the Quarantine Act: 14 (1) Any qualified person authorized by the Minister may, to determine whether a traveller has a communicable disease or symptoms of one, use any screening technology authorized by the Minister that does not involve the entry into the traveller’s body of any instrument or other foreign body."
13. Agent says there is a public health order in place that everyone entering the country has to comply with.
1. In order for a mandate like this to be valid, it needs my consent to enter the contract. I do not consent to this mandate. This mandate is void because I do not consent.
14. Public health officer was not on site. I am asked to provide my cell phone number in order for them to contact me.
1. I refuse to provide any contact information. The only document and information I need to enter my country is my passport.
15. Agent calls public health officer and has me speak with them.
1. The ask me similar questions as above.
2. I quoted the quarantine act 14.1 again and tell them that I do not have any symptoms and that is all they can do is screen me for Covid-19.
16. Border Agent Supervisor says that I should quarantine for 14 days. He gives me two test kits for day 1 and day 8. He says I can do what I want with them, as they cannot could enforce anything once I leave.
1. Familiarize yourself with the inside page of your passport.
2. Understand section 14.1 of the Quarantine act.
3. Do not say more than you need to. Do not disclose any personal information like cell phone number or home address. Your passport is all that is needed.
4. Be respectful, but be firm and confident.
I thanked the border agent supervisor. He told me that he does not agree with everything that is happening, but it is their job to enforce whatever they are told to.